Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sangean ATS-606AP AM/FM Digital Compact Shortwave World Band Receiver Review


After much research for a small radio that can receive shortwave for an extended overseas trip, I settled on the Sangean 606. I already have a Sony SW7600GR (standard in the industry IMO) but wanted something smaller and less valuable (the Sangean is about 1/2 the size as the Sony).

Initial thoughts were that 1) it was chunkier than I was expecting and 2) the plastic casing seemed cheap.

I've now lived with it for ~2 months and I'm thrilled. Reception for FM and AM is on par with the larger and more expensive Sony and it is marginally easier to use. I also prefer the sound of the Sangean over the Sony (NPR talk radio mostly). With automatic station setting, fine tuning, alarm, light, etc., it is an ideal travel radio. Other nice features at this price point is the protective case, SW reel antenna, and AC adapter (not included with the Sony!). I've used it daily for ~2 months on the same set of batteries.

If I were doing a lot of shortwave listening the Sony would still be preferred, and the quality feel of the Sony is 2nd to none.

Biggest complaints? the flimsy up/down tuning buttons and that Amazon suggests buying an additional antenna that already comes with the radio.

Full disclosure- this is my 4th Sangean but that just speaks to how good they are in receiving tricky AM & FM radio stations.

UPDATE: I paid ~$115 for this Sangean and when I bought my Sony SW7600GR it was ~$200. If you can get the Sony for ~$25 more than this Sangean, I'd probably go for it. Just make sure it is the same made in Japan radio it used to be!

Buy it here now!

0 comments: