Thursday, July 2, 2009

Grundig S350 Deluxe AM/FM/Shortwave Radio, Black Review


Just set this up to use today. Very impressed so far. Pulling in distant AM and FM stations very nicely. It is a fun radio to operate and looks very nice. Currently have the line out to my stereo set up and that is impressive for music, not so hot for talk and sports, the radio speaker is better for that. The 90 min auto sleep function can be overiden on the DL if you wish. I live in the mountains of central upstate NY, surrounded by higher terrain in all directions especially to the North and West. Tonight I listened to Friday night oldies on 740AM from Canada. Hockey games in Philly and Chicago on AM. During the day and a little tonight, Binghamton NY oldies radio on 100.5FM. Also pulled in tons of short wave broadcasts tonight. I am not familiar with SW so I will have to learn the ropes with that. The wide setting is usefull to me and provided great listening on AM during the day for a couple of local am stations one 20 miles to the east and one 20 miles to the west. Not many good am stations available to me in my location during the day so the wide setting worked well during the day and the narrow was best at night when everything came to life on AM. Head phones gave very nice stereo on FM. The Duel tuning ratio knobs worked very well. No wobble in mine, but the display model on the floor was terible, it felt like the knobs were about to fall off. Everything work perfectly on the one I bought, nicely lighted freq indicator (digital) with analog tuning NICE. Clock, alarm, timer, swithes. For the price ($100) it does what it is suppose to do very well. The wip antenna for FM is a big one and very sturdy. The radio must have a very large ferrite bar internal antenna for AM given the fine AM it produces. The AFC operated OK. Although it works very well now without any external antenna help, I am going to try a C.Crane twin ferrite antenna with it which should really make it shine on AM. Be carefull with the battery cover it is thin plastic and it does not look like it would take much to break it when removing it to install the 4 D cells. Currently running mine with the AC/DC 6 volt adaptor. Overall - Glad I bought it. 5 Stars

UPDATE 4/23/09 after 2 months - Still think this is a nice little radio, I use it everyday for hours at a time. I have added the Crain Twin Coil antenna connected inductively and it makes a great combination. Fun radio for everyday use. I could not have asked for more for the money. Still 5 Stars !

Buy it here now!

0 comments: