Friday, August 14, 2009

First Alert Portable AM-FM Emergency Alert Radio Review


I admit I bought this radio on price alone. I was interested in basically just the weather broadcasts. But it is difficult to find a portable unit that doesn't offer AM and FM. The radio receives excellent reception. And the speaker sounds exceptionally well for such a small portable in my opinion. The only major drawback to this radio to me is its terrible battery compartment design. The unit takes four AA batteries, one on top of the other, rather than straight in a row. This requires that you squeeze back the little holding spring at the top to insert the battery beneath. Its always been my opinion that all battery compartments on anything are designed by the sadist on staff at whatever company is producing it. But this one offers very little lee way even by the generous standards of terrible battery compartments. In my first try at inserting the batteries I managed to break one of the little retaining springs. Rather than return the whole unit, I fixed the problem by inserting a small piece of aluminum foil to allow the battery to make contact. Since this radio will be almost exclusively used as a portable unit by most customers, I felt compelled to mention that the battery department leaves a whole bunch to be desired. One other observation. This radio is just a smidgen over and inch wide at the bottom. Although it has two little rubberized feet, it is so narrow that unless it is placed on a dead level surface, it tips over easily. This radio would be useless on a camping trip or picnic if you expect to place this on a rock, or the ground. It will continuously tip over and drive you crazy. The three star rating on this radio is for the good reception of the weather forecasts, and the excellent FM reception as well. Its overall design is however very substandard, and not very well thought out.

Buy it here now!

0 comments: